Priests in a Parish: We use the following
convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means
that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually
the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand
3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample
page from the Directory.
Source: Official Catholic Directory (Kenedy & Sons, 1969-2002).
• Priest's Conduct Reviewed, By Cindi Andrews and Janice Morse, Cincinnati Enquirer, June 23, 2001
• Priest Admits to Parishioners Sexual Encounters with Boys, By Tim Bonfield and Walt Schaefer, Cincinnati Enquirer, June 24, 2001
• Police: Church Computer Used for Porn, By Janice Morse, Cincinnati Enquirer, June 30, 2001
• Accusations Not First to Target Priest, By Janice Morse, Cincinnati Enquirer, August 5, 2001
• Charges Unlikely against Priest, By Janice Morse, Cincinnati Enquirer, September 27, 2001
• Policy Shift Could Oust Eight Area Priests, By Tom Beyerlein, Dayton Daily News, June 27, 2002
• Two Ex-Priests Indicted on Sex Abuse, By Dan Horn, Cincinnati Enquirer, March 22, 2003
• Priest Pleads Guilty, Won't Face Jail Time, By Sharon Turco and Dan Horn, Cincinnati Enquirer, downloaded June 12, 2003
• Status Report on Clerics Credibly Accused of Child Abuse, Archdiocese of Cincinnati Statement, accessed February 2, 2006
• Accused Priests Remain on Payroll, By Tom Beyerlein, Dayton Daily News, April 22, 2007
• Vatican Removes 2 Accused of Sexual Abuse from Priesthood, WLWT, May 11, 2007
• Vatican Ousts 2 from Priesthood, Cincinnati Post, May 12, 2007
• Two Area Priests Defrocked over Sex Abuse Allegations, By Tom Beyerein, Dayton Daily News, May 12, 2007
Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic
priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication
year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory
for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year
as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into
the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to
correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading
or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the
source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in
progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email
us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Schoettmer's career history as it is represented
in the Official Catholic Directory with the allegations against him, as reported in
the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegations
we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes
that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven
guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are
presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise.
Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private
settlements. For more information, see our posting
This assignment record was last updated on February 6, 2017.