Fr. Olszewski are dropped
By Robert Delaney
The Michigan Catholic
April 7, 2006
Detroit – There will be no new trial for Fr. Edward Olszewski, 73, for allegedly “taking indecent liberties with a minor,” after Wayne County Circuit Judge Diane Hathaway dismissed the case Tuesday morning.
The priest was convicted on the charge in 2002 by a Wayne County jury after Albert Green, a 44-year-old Washington state resident, came forward, alleging Fr. Olszewski had repeatedly raped him over a period of years in the early 1970s at the rectory of St. Cecilia Parish on Detroit’s west side.
He was sentenced to four years probation, which he completed in February.
But the Michigan Supreme Court remanded the case back to Wayne County for a new trial after it emerged that one of the jurors had failed to disclose that she had been a victim of sexual abuse as a child.
Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said Prosecutor Kym Worthy made the decision Monday to ask Hathaway to dismiss the case. “We believe that, since Mr. Albert Green had his day in court and the case was heard by a jury, and since Mr. Olszewski completed his sentence, it did not make sense to proceed with a trial,” Miller said.
At the time of the alleged sexual abuse, Fr. Olszewski was a priest of the Archdiocese of Detroit. He has since moved to Florida, and is now a priest of the Archdiocese of Miami.
Regardless of the judge’s decision, Fr. Olszewski remains under
Church restrictions barring him from any active ministry, wearing clerical
garb, or otherwise presenting himself as a priest.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.