Assignment Record – Rev. Curtis Carl Wehmeyer
St. Paul-Minneapolis archbishop was Harry Joseph Flynn (1995-2008).
West St. Paul
• In 2004 Wehmeyer is said to have made sexual overtures toward two young
• In 2006 a police officer found Wehmeyer hanging out at a park that was known as a popular spot for anonymous sex. The officer said the priest told him, "I'm a priest. I know I shouldn't be here."
St. Joseph's had a school with 750-680 students and a religious education program with 315-170 students.
A concerned parishioner informed Vicar General, Rev. Kevin McDonough, of the incident in the bookstore. McDonough met with the parishioner and one of the young men who was approached by Wehmeyer, and told them that Wehmeyer was in counseling. Wehmeyer was sent to St. Luke's Institute in Maryland for in-patient treatment. He was also ordered to attend Sexaholics Anonymous meetings.
The police officer in 2006 warned McDonough about Wehmeyer.
Flynn was succeeded by John Clayton Nienstedt (2008-).
|2012||Blessed Sacrament||St. Paul||MN||1/1||
Blessed Sacrament has a religious education program with 52-156 students.
In 2008 Ms. Jennifer Haselburger was hired by the archdiocese as Chancellor for Canonical Affairs. She said in a 2013 interview tht she discovered in Wehmeyer's personnel file in 2008 that Wehmeyer had a sexual addiction, and that he had violated the archdiocese's code of conduct. Haselburger knew that the new archbishop was considering making Wehmeyer pastor; she appealed to Nienstedt to review the file. Wehmeyer was made pastor of St. Thomas/Blessed Sacrament.
|2009||2012||St. Thomas the Apostle/Blessed Sacrament||
• In 2009 the archdiocese received multiple complaints about Wehmeyer: from a priest who said Wehmeyer approached him for sex; from someone saying Wehmeyer was acting suspiciously with boys at a campground; and in Sept. 2009 Wehmeyer was arrested for Driving While Intoxicated. Police received a complaint about him appearing intoxicated and asking young men, ages 18-21, if they wanted to party with him. He was staying nearby in his camper at a state park. Wehmeyer pleaded guilty to the DWI and was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years supervised probation. He was told to serve 4 days on electric home monitoring.
• In June 2012 Wehmeyer was arrested on charges of sexually abusing a 12- year-old boy during the summer of 2010. The abuse took place in a camper on church property and on a camping trip. He also abused the boy's 14 year-old brother. Wehmeyer gave the boys alcohol and marijuana and showed them child pornography. The boys' mother went to the police and Wehmeyer was removed from the parish June 21, 2012.
• Wehmeyer was charged in November 2014 with the sexual assault of a teen boy in 2011. His accuser told police Wehmeyer gave him alcohol and marijuana during a camping trip in WI, and that he awoke to find the priest in bed with him, touching him sexually.
St. Thomas the Apostle had a religious education program with 100-133 students.
St. Thomas merged with Blessed Sacrament in 2009.
The mother of the two boys who were abused by Wehmeyer stated in an Oct. 2013 interview that in 2009 she was told by then Twin Cities Vicar General and now bishop of Duluth, Paul Sirba, that she should be sure that an adult be present on camping trips with her sons and Wehmeyer. This was after Sirba learned that Wehmeyer had taken one of the women's son on a camping trip alone. She said the gist of Sirba's message was that the appearance of scandal needed to be avoided.
• Wehmeyer was charged in October 2012 with 17 counts of possession of child pornography after investigators found on his laptop computer "still images and video clips depicting sex acts involving prepubescent males".
The archdiocese was criminally charged by the county for failure to protect children related to Wehmeyer's abuse of 3 minors. Civil charges were also brought but, in a December 2015 settlement agreement, they would be dropped after 3 years if the archdiocese implemented its child protection policies and procedures.
Sources: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 2001-2011)
• Statement of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis Regarding Father Curtis Wehmeyer, By Jim Accurso, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, June 24, 2012
in a Parish: We use the following convention to show a priest's
place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means that he is the first priest
listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually the pastor)
and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand 3/4
means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample
page from the Directory.
money guide of hospital products guide of international market guide of repair roof before winter guide of website income guide of secure your business guide of face makeup tools guide of jewellery arts guide of tv shows guide of best places on earth guide of job plans guide of cheap cars guide of creating products guide of women tools guide of eat less guide of car insurance process guide of sport stuff guide of garden home guide of cheap insurances guide of electronic tech guide of healthy feeding guide of what is next in fashion guide of improve company guide of tactical insurance guide of make money at home guide of development in business guide of dept loan guide of cooking secrets guide of correct companies guide of jobs with more income guide of reviews o general products guide of improving technology guide of ideal job guide of business sectors guide of dept problem guide of unlimited business guide of suitable insurance company guide of money cars guide of how to market guide of heatlhy diet tips guide of decoration tipse guide of security problems