Rev. Thomas S. Stitts
St. Paul archbishop was Leo Binz (1961-1975)
|1965||St. Matthew's||St. Paul||MN||3/3, 2/3||St. Matthew's had a school with 905-901 students.|
|1965||1966||Our Lady of Grace||
• In a fourth lawsuit involving Stitts, four brothers from Edna claimed in 2010 that Stitts befriended their family when they were children and he was a priest at Our Lady of Grace. These accusers said their abuse occurred between 1967 and 1973.
Our Lady of Grace had a school with 544 students.
This lawsuit claims that in 1970 and several subsequent times archdiocesan supervisors were made aware of Stitts' abusive behavior, but did nothing to discipline Stitts or to protect other children.
|June 1966||June 1970||Guardian Angels||
• Stitts was accused in a 1995 lawsuit of having sexually abused a Guardian Angels altar boy from 1967-1970, beginning when the boy was 11 years old. Stitts is said to have abused the boy after mass and in the church rectory.
• In 2010 a man accused Stitts of having sexually abused him when he was a 10 year-old Guardian Angels school student, in about 1967. He said he told the school principal, who told him never to speak like that about Father, and that there must be something wrong with him if he did.
• Another man in 2010 accused Stitts of sexually abusing him as a 9 or 10 year old boy in 1966 or 1967.
|MN||2/2||Guardian Angels had a school with 590-438 students.|
|June 1970||Sept. 1970||Blessed Sacrament||St. Paul||MN||assistant pastor||This assignment is per news reports.|
|Sept. 1970||Oct. 1973||St. Leo's||
• Stitts was accused in a 1995 lawsuit of having sexually abused an 11 year-old St. Leo's altar boy, beginning in 1973. The abuse is said to have taken place in the rectory and at St. Paul's Seminary.
• In a March 2010 lawsuit four men accused Stitts of having sexually abused them as boys between the ages of 10 and 14, in the 1970s at St. Leo's. The men claimed in 2010 that they had only recently learned all of them were sexually abused by Stitts, and that each thought he was the only one abused.
St. Leo's had a school with 312-485 students.
Binz was succeeded by John Robert Roach (1975-1995)
|1980||St. George's||Long Lake||MN||1/1|
|1980||1985||St. John the Baptist||New Brighton||MN||1/3, 1/4||
St. John's had a school with 491-439 students.
Stitts was permanently removed from ministry in 1985, per the archdiocese.
Stitts died Oct. 13, 1985.
Sources: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1963-1986)
• Men Claiming Sex Abuse by Priest Sue Archdiocese, 2 Area Churches, Alleged Molester Died 10 Years Ago, By Wayne Wangstad,