Rev. Herman J. Lammers
Summary of Case: Lammers was director of Catholic Charities 1939-1976, and resident chaplain of St. Thomas-St. Vincent Home, which was an orphanage in Anchorage, KY. Accused by at least 32 people in lawsuits filed from 2002-2004 as a perpetrator of child sexual abuse. Most of the accusers lived as children at the orphanage, where they claim abuse by Lammers as well as abuse and neglect on the part of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, who ran the Home. Lammers died Aug. 11, 1986.
Louisville archbishop was John Alexander Floersh (1924-1967)
|1937||Cathedral of the Assumption||Louisville||KY||
|The Cathedral had a school with 88-80 students.|
|1932||1937||St. Helena's Commercial College||Louisville||KY||This was a chapel of the Cathedral.|
|1932||1933||Good Shepherd Convent||Louisville||KY||This was a chapel of the Cathedral.|
|1933||1934||St. Catherine's Convent of the Sisters of Mercy||Louisville||KY||This was a chapel of the Cathedral.|
|This was a chapel of the Cathedral.|
|1936||1937||St. Aloysius||Shepherdsville||KY||This was a mission of the Cathedral.|
|1937||1939||Holy Trinity||Fredericktown||KY||1/1||Parish had a school with 193-265 students.|
|1937||1939||Holy Rosary||Blincoe||KY||1/1||Parish had a school with 93 students. This was a mission of Holy Trinity in Fredericktown.|
Thomas Joseph McDonough replaced Floersh as archbishop (1967-1981), followed by Thomas Cajetan Kelly (1981-2007)
|1982||St. Thomas-St. Vincent Home||
• A woman accused Lammers in a July 2002 lawsuit of having sexually abusing her "on or after 1955", when she was ten years old and living at St. Thomas-St. Vincent Home. (Courier-Journal [Louisville, KY]
• Another woman filed suit in Aug. 2002, saying Lammers of "forcibly sexually molested, battered and assaulted" her when she was a child living at the Home, in about 1963. (Louisville Courier Journal
• Six more people accused Lammers in a 2004 lawsuit of having sexually abusing them as children and residents of St. Thomas-St. Vincent. They also named Sr. Mary Ann Powers and Sr. Alma Stueker as perpetrators of sexual abuse against them. (Associated Press, carried in Lexington Herald-Leader
• Four more people accused Lammers in Aug. 2004, totaling twenty three of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. The abuse is said to have occurred in the 1950s and 1960s. (The Courier-Journal [Louisville KY]
• Two more women came forward in Aug. 2004 with allegations of rape by Lammers in the 1950s and '60s, when they were residents of the orphanage. (The Associated Press
• By Sept. 2004 thirty-two people had accused Lammers of sexually abusing them as children, forty-one had sued the Sisters of Charity, accusing them of failing to protect them from abuse between the 1930s and 1970s. Fourteen of the plaintiffs accused fifteen of the nuns of sexual or physical abuse. Three people claimed that a male volunteer and a male assistant at St. Thomas-St. Vincent Home molested them as children. (Associated Press, carried in Kentucky.com [Louisville KY]
|KY||Chaplain||The Home was an orphanage. It was St. Thomas' Orphan Asylum for Boys until it merged with St. Vincent, which was a girls' orphanage, in 1952.|
|1939||1976||Catholic Charities||Louisville||KY||Director||Lammers was named a monsignor in 1955.|
|1982||1986||Retired||Louisville||KY||Lammers lived in an apartment in Louisville in his retirement. He died Aug. 11, 1986.|
Source: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1933-1987)
Priests in a Parish: We use the following convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand 3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample page from the Directory.
Note: The Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Lammers' career history as it is represented in the Official Catholic Directory with allegations as reported in the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegation we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.
This assignment record was last updated on Dec. 31, 2009
money guide of hospital products guide of international market guide of repair roof before winter guide of website income guide of secure your business guide of face makeup tools guide of jewellery arts guide of tv shows guide of best places on earth guide of job plans guide of cheap cars guide of creating products guide of women tools guide of eat less guide of car insurance process guide of sport stuff guide of garden home guide of cheap insurances guide of electronic tech guide of healthy feeding guide of what is next in fashion guide of improve company guide of tactical insurance guide of make money at home guide of development in business guide of dept loan guide of cooking secrets guide of correct companies guide of jobs with more income guide of reviews o general products guide of improving technology guide of ideal job guide of business sectors guide of dept problem guide of unlimited business guide of suitable insurance company guide of money cars guide of how to market guide of heatlhy diet tips guide of decoration tipse guide of security problems