Assignment Record– Rev. Philip J. Jacobs
Summary of Case: Jacobs was removed from ministry in the Columbus OH diocese in 1993 after reports to the diocese that he had sexually abused children. He may have abused at least 10 Ohio children. He was sent to treatment, after which he went to work as a priest in the Victoria diocese in Vancouver, British Columbia. He was removed from ministry there in 2002 after the news of the abuse allegations in Ohio came to light. He subsequently is said to have worked in a "non-church" job in Europe. In August 2010 Jacobs was arrested as he disembarked from a plane in Victoria upon his arrival from San Francisco. He was charged with sexual assault, sexual interference, and sexual exploitation involving children under the age of 14. He was found guilty in February 2013 of sexually touching one young person. Sentenced in September 2013 to two years' probation and a five-month conditional sentence.
Columbus bishop was Edward John Herrmann (1973-1982).
|1975||Jacobs is not indexed in the 1975 Directory.|
• Jacobs' cousin told his parish priest and the diocese in 1996 that Jacobs molested him in 1976 at a family cottage, when the cousin was 14 years-old.
|OH||2/2||Parish had a school with 266-280 students.|
• In 2002 a 35-year-old man said he had been molested by Jacobs when he was a boy in 1978 and 1979, and that the abuse happened at Jacobs' family cottage.
|OH||2/2||Parish had a school with 286-285 students.|
Hermann was succeeded as Columbus bishop by James Anthony Griffin (1983-2004).
Boston archbishop was Humberto Sousa Medeiros (1970-1983), followed by Bernard Francis Law (1984-2002).
|1986||On Leave for Studies/Boston College||Boston||MA|
|Parish had a school with 600-605 students.|
|1986||1993||Pontifical College Josephinum||
• Bishop Griffin is quoted in 2002 as saying "...there were a couple of complaints and some other....reports..." that lead to Jacobs removal from ministry in the Columbus diocese."
• A 2010 news report states that ten people had accused Jacobs of having sexually abused them as children while he was a priest in Ohio.
|OH||Professor; Vice Rector||This was a diocesan seminary.|
|1993||1995||Absent on Sick Leave||Jacobs was sent to treatment after his removal from ministry in 1993, spending nine months at the Institute for Living in Hartford, CT.|
|1995||1996||On Duty Outside the Diocese|
Victoria bishop was Remi Joseph De Roo (1962-1999).
|1998||St. Rose of Lima||
Sooke, Vancouver Island
• Jacobs was accused and charged in Aug. 2010 of having sexually abused children under age 14 while at this parish. The abuse is said to have been perpetrated against three children while he was at this and his next assignments, between 1996 and 2001.
Jacobs is not indexed beyond the 1997 Directory.
Per news reports, Jacobs went to the Victoria diocese after being removed from ministry in Ohio. Victorian diocesan officials were given Jacobs' records by the Columbus diocese.
Per Roussin, Jacobs was assessed by psychiatrists, was required to be seen regularly by a psychiatrist, and was supposed to be monitored by two senior priests and two lay members of the church. He was also told not to be alone with individual children or small groups of children.
In Jacobs' December 2012 trial it was disclosed that he was assigned to St. Rose of Lima to limit his access to children.
De Roo was replaced as Victoria bishop by Raymond Roussin, S.M. (1999-2004).
|2002||St. Joseph the Worker||
Saanich, Vancouver Island
• In 2002, after news of past allegations against him and his removal from St. Joseph's, a local person reported having been victimized as a minor by Jacobs, but police didn't press charges due to insufficient evidence.
|Pastor in 1996-2002||Jacobs was removed from ministry in the Victoria diocese in May 2002 due to revelations of past allegations of child sexual abuse in Ohio.|
|2010||Europe||non-church position||Jacobs was arrested August 4, 2010 in Vancouver, B.C. at the Victoria airport for sexual assault, sexual interference, and sexual exploitation.|
In Decemeber 2012 Jacobs denied sexually abusing the Vancouver boys he was charged with abusing. He admitted, however, to misdeeds in the past with boys in Ohio, explaining it was to "teach the boys to masturbate."
Found guilty in February 2013 of sexually touching a young person, and not guilty on three other counts. Sentenced in September 2013 to two years' probation, and a five-month conditional sentence. He was also ordered to stay away from those under age 16, to provide a DNA sample, undergo counseling, and to register as a sex offender.
Source: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1976-1997)
• Priest Accused of Molestations Now at British Columbia Parish, By Dennis M. Mahoney, Columbus Dispatch (Ohio), April 27, 2002
• Embattled Priest Will Leave Diocese in Canada, By Dennis M. Mahoney, Columbus Dispatch (Ohio), May1, 2002
• Special Reports: Catholic Bishops and Sex Abuse , Dallas Morning News, June 12, 2002
• Bishops' Sex-Abuse Studies Hit Home - Part 1, 26 clerics in Columbus Diocese accused since 1950, By Dennis M. Mahoney, Columbus Dispatch, February 28, 2004
• Former Saanich Priest Arrested on Multiple Sex Charges, By Katie DeRosa, Vancouver Sun, August 6, 2010
• Priest Arrested at Victoria Airport, C-Fax, August 6, 2010
• Victoria Priest Faces Sex Charges, CBC News, August 7, 2010
• Priest Charged with Sex Crimes, Had Been Removed from Ohio Ministry for Alleged Molestation, By Associated Press, carried in Canadian Press,
August 7, 2010
• May 5, 2002: the Two Faces of Father Jacobs, By Jody Paterson, The Province, August 7, 2010
• Diocese Hurt by Sex Charges against Former Victoria Priest, Bishop Says, By Katie DeRosa, Times Colonist, August 8, 2010
• Priest with Columbus Ties Charged with Sex Abuse, WSYX, August 8, 2010
• Former Columbus Priest Charged in Canada with Sex Crimes, NBC4i, August 8, 2010
• "We Could’ve Done More” Admits Diocese Bishop after Priest Charged with Sex Offences, By Kyle Slavin, BCLocalNews, August 9, 2010
• Police receive stream of tips about priest in sex case, By Katie DeRosa, Times Colonist, August 10, 2010
• Priest Had Past Allegations of Sexual Abuse against Kids, By Kyle Slavin, BCLocalNews, August 12, 2010
• Priest Accused of Sex Crimes Appears before Preliminary Inquiry, By Louise Dickson, Montreal Gazette, November 7, 2011
• Sex Abuse Case against Former Saanich Priest Moves Forward in July, Sooke News Mirror, June 28, 2012
• Sex Assault Trial Starts for Former Saanich Priest, Saanich News, October 9, 2012
• Ex-priest's Trial Begins Today, By Jeff Bell, Times Colonist, October 11, 2012
• Philip Jacobs Trial Now Set for December, Saaich News, October 22, 2012
• Trial Begins for Priest Facing Sex Abuse Charges, CTV, December 10, 2012
• Priest Sex Abuse Trial Begins in Victoria, The CBC, December 10, 2012
• Priest Given Sooke Post to Avoid Kids, Court Hears, By Louise Dickson, Vancouver Sun, December 11, 2012
• Former Altar Boys Recall Being Touched by Priest, The CTV, December 12, 2012
• Sex Assault Trial Starts for Former Saanich Priest, By Kyle Slavin, Sooke News Mirror, December 12, 2012
• Priest Touched Genitals, Witness Says, By Louise Dickson, Times Colonist, December 12, 2012
• Witness Testifies to Alleged Sexual Abuse at Saanich Church, By Edward Hill, Sooke News Mirror, December 13, 2012
• Priest’s Sex Talk Distressing, Trial Told, By Louise Dickson, Times Colonist, December 13, 2012
• Ex-student Uneasy about Priest’s Touch, By Louise Dickson, Times Colonist, December 14, 2012
• Former Friend Testifies against Accused Former Priest, By Edward Hill, Sooke News Mirror, December 14, 2012
• Accused Priest to Take the Stand, By Jeff Bell, Times Colonist, December 15, 2012
• Father Phil Jacobs denies abuse allegations, By Jeff Bell, December 17, 2012
• Priest Admits U.S. Abuse, but Denies Any Crimes in B.C, CBC News, December 19, 2012
• Accused Former Priest Testifies in Own Defence, By Kyle Slavin, Saanich News, December 17, 2012
• Oh - Ex-Ohio Priest Admits Molesting Kids; SNAP Responds, By David Clohessy, Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests,
December 18, 2012
• Columbus Diocese Urged to Search for Priest's Victims, By Joanne Viviano, The Columbus Dispatch, December 19, 2012
• Priest's Trial Expected to Wrap Today, By Jeff Bell, Times Colonist, December 19, 2012
• Father Philip Jacobs on Trial in Victoria, By Staff Writer, Sooke News Mirror, December 19, 2012
• Crown Grills Former Priest on Sexual Compulsions around Young Boys, By Edward Hill, Saanich News, December 19, 2012
• Saanich Priest Had to Keep Self in Check, Court Hears, By Jeff Bell, Times Colonist, December 19, 2012
• Behaviour with Boys Not Appropriate, Father Phil Jacobs Says in Court, Times Colonist, December 21, 2012
• Testimony Ends at Phil Jacobs Sexual Abuse Trial, By Edward Hill, Saanich News, December 21, 2012
• Priest Accused of B.C. Sex Assault Awaits Verdict, CBC News, January 8, 2013
• Saanist Priest's Actions Not CriminaArgues Lawyer, By Louise Dickson, The Times-Colonist, January 9, 2013
• Priest Facing Sex Abuse Charges to Learn Fate Monday, Saanich News, February 20, 2013
• Former Saanich Priest Guilty on One Count of Sexual Touching, By Kyle Slavin, Saanich News, February 25, 2013
• Former Saanich Priest Convicted of Child Sexual Assault, The Province, February 25, 2013
• Father Phil Found Guilty of Sexually Touching Young Person; Acquitted of Three Other Charges, By Louise Dickson, Times Colonist, February 25, 2013
• Priest Found Guilty on Sex Charge in Canada, By JoAnne Viviano, The Columbus Dispatch, February 26, 2013
• Former Saanich Priest Guilty of Sexual Exploitation, On CTV, February 26, 2013
• Father Phil Jacobs to Be Sentenced in Early June, By Louise Dickson, Times Colonist, March 7, 2013
• Phil Jacobs Scheduled for Sentencing Friday, By Kyle Slavin, Victoria News, July 17, 2013
• Victoria Priest Philip Jacobs to be Sentenced Sept. 14 for Sexual Touching Conviction, By Jeff Bell, Times Colonist, July 19, 2013
• Advocate Wants Long Sentence for Abusive Priest, By Joanne Viviano, The Columbus Dispatch, August 28, 2013
• Letter to Bishop Campbell, By Carol Zamonoski, SNAP, August 28, 2013
• Protest Held in Ohio before Sentencing of Saanich Priest, By Kyle Slavin, Victoria News, August 29, 2013
• Father Jacobs Gets Lenient Sentence after Admitting to Abusing Teens, By Bridgette P. LaVictoire, Lez Get Real, September 5, 2013
• Philip Jacobs Sentenced, Sooke News Mirror, September 11, 2013
• Vancouver Sun 04.15.14
Priests in a Parish: We use the following convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand 3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample page from the Directory.
Note: The Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Jacob's career history as it is represented in the Official Catholic Directory with allegations as reported in the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegation we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.
This assignment record was last updated on October 11, 2016.