Assignment Record– Bro. Kenneth Ghastin, o.f.m.
Summary of Case: Ghastin was accused in 1993 of having sexually abused two Massachusetts boys in the 1970s. The boys were brothers whose father had recently died. Ghastin was removed from public ministry and lived at his order's friary in Wappinger Falls, NY. In 2005 he moved to his friary in FL. Ghastin died in October 2013.
Ordained: Ghastin took Simple Vows in 1959. He was ordained a permanent deacon in 1977.
Died: October 2, 2013
|1955||1959||Hungarian Franciscans||Joined the Hungarian Franciscans in 1955, and took Simple Vows Aug. 16, 1959 .|
|Holy Land Monastery||Washington||DC||Ghastin was sent to this monastery to learn to make habits.|
|Holy Assumption||Roebling||NJ||principal for four years|
|Holy Cross High School||Trenton||NJ||teacher|
|1970||Transferred to the Immaculate Conception Province in 1970.|
Boston archbishop was Humberto Sousa Medeiros (1970-1983).
|Christopher Columbus High School||
Boston (North End)
Lansing bishop was Kenneth Joseph Povish (1975-1995).
|Lansing||MI||Ordained a permanent deacon by auxilliary Bishop James Sullivan in 1977.|
Pittsburgh bishop was Anthony Joseph Bevilacqua (1983-1987), followed by Donald William Wuerl (1988-2006).
|1991||Serra Catholic High School||McKeesport||PA||teacher
|1992||Dusquesne University||Pittsburgh||PA||student advisor|
Boston archbishop was Bernard Francis Law (1984-2002) .
|Dec. 1993||St. Ann's||Marlborough||MA||deacon||Ghastin was removed from St. Ann's in Dec. 1993 when the archdiocese was informed of the allegations against him from 1974.|
|1993||2005||Mount Alvernia Friary||Wappinger Falls||NY||In 2002 Ghastin's provincial superior stated that Ghastin had been at this monastery for 10 years, "where he has no contact with the public".|
Diocese of St. Petersburg was Robert Nugent Lynch
Ghastin is said to have retired to his Florida friary due to poor health. Ghastin was honored in October 2009 in the St. Petersburg diocese for celebrating 50 years as a Franciscan brother.
Ghastin died October 2, 2013.
• Boston Man: Abuse Part of Brother's Broken Life, By Peter Gelzinis, Boston Herald, April 28, 2002
• Attorneys Release Records on 10 More Priests, Brothers, By Michael Rezendes and Matt Carroll, Boston Globe, December 17, 2002
• Newly Released Files Identify More Alleged Abusive Priests, By Robin Washington and Marie Szaniszlo, Boston Herald, December 17, 2002
• Records Show Abuse Claim against Three Hull Priests, By Patriot Ledger, Patriot Ledger (Quincy, MA), December 17, 2002
• Accused Friar Worked in Marlborough, Framingham Metro West Daily News, December 18, 2002
• Marlborough Not Spared Priest Abuse Scandal, Milford Daily News, December 22, 2002
• Deacon Kenneth Ghastin, Biographies for Religious Jubilarians 2009
• Deacon Kenneth R Ghastin, member biography/profile, Cambridge Who's Who 2009
• The Missing Names from Cardinal O’Malley’s List of Accused Clerics, The Boston Globe, November 20, 2011
• Catholics View Child Sex Abuse Scandal As Top Issue, By Bill Zlatos, Tribune-Review, March 9, 2013
• Pittsburgh Diocese Sends out Another Warning on Cleric, By Bill Zlatos, Tribune-Review, April 8, 2013
• Secular Franciscan Order Newsletter, Dunedin, FL, November 2013
Note: We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Ghastin's career history with allegations as reported in the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegation we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.
This assignment record was last updated on April 9, 2014.