Assignment Record – Rev. Jules M. Convert, s.j.
San Francisco archbishop was John Joseph Mitty (1935-1961).
Seattle archbishop was Gerald Shaughnessy, s.m. (1933-1950).
|1943||Manresa Hall||Port Townsend||WA|
Vicariate-Apostolic of Alaska bishop was Joseph Raphael John Crimont, s.j. (1904-1945).
|1945||St. Francis Xavier Mission||Kotzebue||AK||2/2 Missionary||Convert is indexed in the 1944 and 19545 Directories as at St. Francis Xavier Mission, but he is listed in the Alaska pages as at St. Theresa of the Child Jesus in Hooper Bay.|
Crimont was succeeded by Francis Doyle Gleeson, s.j. (1948-1968).
|1947||St. Theresa of the Child Jesus (Napareyaramiut)||Hooper Bay||AK||2/2 Missionary|
|1947||1949||Kashunak||AK||This was a station of Sacred Heart in Chevak.|
|1947||1949||Keyaluvik||AK||This was a station of Sacred Heart in Chevak.|
|1949||1954||St. Michael's||St. Michael||AK||1/1|
|1949||1954||Stebbins||AK||This was a station of St. Michael's in St. Michael.|
|1953||1954||Hamilton||AK||This was a station of St. Michael's in St. Michael.|
|1953||1954||Cahneliak||AK||This was a station of St. Michael's in St. Michael.|
|1953||1954||Kotlik||AK||This was a station of St. Michael's in St. Michael.|
|1954||1956||Holy Cross Mission||
• At least one of the men to accuse Convert of having sexually abused them as boys was from a Holy Cross orphanage overseen by the priest.
|AK||1/2; Superior||Holy Cross Mission had a school 1954-1955 with 175 students. The 1956 Directory shows it to have had a grade school with 93 students and a high school with 17 students.|
|1954||1956||Pimute||AK||This was a station of Holy Cross Mission in Holy Cross.|
|1954||1956||Flat||AK||This was a station of Holy Cross Mission in Holy Cross.|
|1954||1956||Shageluk||AK||This was a station of Holy Cross Mission in Holy Cross.|
|1954||1956||Railroad City||AK||This was a station of Holy Cross Mission in Holy Cross.|
|1954||1956||Holikachuk||AK||This was a station of Holy Cross Mission in Holy Cross.|
The Vicariate Apostolic of Alaska was elevated to diocesan status in 1962.
|1967||Little Flower of Jesus||
• A man came forward in 2003 accusing Convert of sexually abusing him as a boy in an Alaska village, from 1955-1960.
|AK||1/1 The 1965-1967 Directories refer to Convert as "Very Rev."|
• Some of the men who came forward beginning in 2003 alleging sexual abuse as altar boys by Convert were from Unalakleet.
|AK||This was a station of Little Flower of Jesus in Kaltag.|
Robert Louis Whelan, s.j. followed Gleeson as Fairbanks bishop ( 1968-1985).
|1975||Social Action||Fairbanks||AK||Director||This was a chancery position.|
|1964||1968||Superior Regular||Fairbanks||AK||This was a chancery position.|
|1964||1979||Apostleship of Prayer||Fairbanks||AK||Director||This was a chancery position.|
|1967||1968||The 1968 Directory indexes Convert as at Jesuit Immaculate Conception Parish, but he is not listed there in the Fairbanks diocesan pages.|
|1968||1969||St. Ann's||Teller||AK||1/1 Convert's title is now "Rev.".|
|1969||1970||Little Flower of Jesus||Kaltag||AK||1/1|
|1970||1973||St. Mary's||St. Mary||AK||2/2, 3/3; Pastor.||St. Mary's had a grade school with 97 day students, and a high school with 46-54 day students and 136-140 boarders.|
|1973||1979||Church of the Nativity||
• Convert was accused in a 2003 lawsuit of having sexually abused four altar boys, who were 6 to 15 years-old, between 1972 and 1977. Each of them said the abuse occurred during overnight stays at the priest's St. Mary's residence.
• By Nov. 2004 16 men had come forward with accusations that Convert sexually abused them as children in villages along the Yukon River. All of them said Convert would invite them to spend the night as a special privilege, then molest them while they slept.
• In November 2004 accusations emerged from two more men in that Converse sexually abused them as children in Alaska, bringing the total of accusers to 18. By November 2011 there were 19 legal claims of abuse by Convert. In April 2012 the Fairbanks diocese's website listed Convert as having 37 reports of abuse against him.
Convert is not indexed beyond the 1979 Directory.
Per diocesan officials in 2003, Convert returned to France in 1980 due to ill health.
|1980||1995||France||Fairbanks diocesan officials stated in 2003 that Convert returned to France in 1980 because of ill health, worked in a small parish in the French Alps and died in Francheville, Lyons, July 28, 1995.|
Sources: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1941-1979)
• Church Officials Respond to 1970s Abuse Allegations, St. Marys: Catholic Organization Says It Had No Reports about Priest, by Cathy Brown, The Associated Press, carried in Anchorage Daily News [Juneau AK], June 25, 2003