Assignment Record– Rev. Frederick J. Bistricky
|7/07/65||1965||Holy Trinity||Racine||WI||This assignment is per the Milwaukee archdiocese.|
Milwaukee archbishop was William Edward Cousins (1958-1977).
|1967||St. Patrick's||Beaver Dam||WI||2/2||Parish had a school with 352-330 students.|
|6/27/67||1976||St. Augustine's (German)||
• Bistricky was accused in 2002 of having sexually abused a boy at this parish during this time, beginning when the boy was 13, and ending when he was 16 years old. His accuser said Bistricky had boys in the CYO play strip poker while he watched, masturbated in front of them and had them do the same in front of him and tried to sodomize the accuser.
• A former St. Augustine's teacher wrote in a July 2003 email to the archdiocese that there were "credible allegations" against Bistricky during the 1974-75 school year. The former teacher wrote that Bistricky was "abusing teenage boys and setting up boys to do things to each other while [Bistricky] watched."
• A 2002 investigation of Bistricky yielded the discovery that in 1974 parents at St. Augustine wrote to Archbishop Cousins complaining about the priest's behavior with their teenagers, including encouraging them to "streak" and "moon," appearing naked in front of a group of boys and girls on a CYO trip, taking nude photos of boys. Cousins reprimanded Bistricky, and he was ordered to receive counseling.
• In 2005 an accusation was made that in 1968 Bistricky forced an 11-year-old boy to disrobe and have his genitals "inspected."
• After the archdiocese filed for bankruptcy in 2011 a man filed a claim that Bistricky sexually abused him as a young altar boy in the early 1970s. He said he went to the priest for advice because he was worried his dad would go to hell for killing people during WWII. He said Bistricky reassured him, then began to sexually abuse him after mass each Sunday, starting with twisting the boy's nipples and leading to rape. The man claimed, too, that he told the parish pastor of the abuse, but nothing was done.
|WI||2/3, 2/4, 2/2||
Parish had a school with 377-256 students.
In March 2002 the Milwaukee DA determined the allegations were credible, but could not be prosecuted due to the statute of limitations.
Cousins was succeeded by Rembert George Weakland, O.S.B. (1977-2002).
|1981||Immaculate Conception (Lithuanian)||Sheboygan||WI||2/2||Parish had a school with 181-204 students.|
|12/15/81||1983||St. John the Baptist's||Plymouth||WI||2/2, 1/2||Parish had a school with 204-275 students.|
|5/1/83||1984||Absent on Sick Leave||Bistricky underwent a psychological evaluation in 1983 in Wasau WI.|
|5/15/84||1990||St. Andrew's||Le Roy||WI||1/1|
|7/1/90||1991||Absent on Sick Leave|
|7/30/91||1991||Ss. Peter/Paul||Nenno||WI||This assignment is per the Milwaukee archdiocese.|
|4/12/93||1995||Special Assignment/Archival Assistant||Milwaukee||WI||
This was a Chancery position.
A 1994 psychological evaluation concluded that Bistricky had an "active sexual fantasy life with some indications that they may have been acted upon in the past with teen aged boys."
|Timothy Michael Dolan replaced Weakland (2002-2009).||2002||Immaculate Conception||Milwaukee||WI||A Bistricky accuser learned in 2002 that Bistricky was helping out at this parish, even though he had been told by Bishop Sklba in 1997 that Bistricky was retired and would have no contact with children.|
Bistricky is not indexed beyond the 2003 Directory.
In July 2002 Bistricky was fully restricted from ministry.
He died in 2006.
Sources: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1966-2003)
• Priest-Abuse Victims Share Their Grief, By Tom Heinen and Marie Rohde, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, October 23, 2002