Assignment Record– Rev. Frederick L. "Fr. Fred" Barr
Summary of Case: Frederick L. Barr was ordained for the Boston archdiocese in 1976. He worked in parishes in towns across the archdiocese including Somerville, Quincy, Belmont, Wellesley, Townsend, Natick, Cambridge and Watertown. In August 2009 Barr was placed on leave after an allegation emerged that he had sexually assaulted a minor in the late 1980s. His status in August 2015 remains "Administrative Leave; Case in Process."
Boston archbishop was Humberto Sousa Medeiros (1970-1983).
|Parish had a grade school with 465-416 students and a high school with 99-128 boys and 160-185 girls.|
Madeiros was succeeded by Bernard Francis Law (1984-2002).
|9/10/85||Our Lady of Good Counsel||Quincy||MA||2/2|
• Accused in 2009 of having sexually abused a child between 1985 and 1990, while he served at St. Luke's.
|MA||2/3, 2/2, 1/2|
|6/27/90||6/01/96||St. James the Great||Wellesley||MA||2/3, 2/4, 2/2|
|1997||1998||Barr is not indexed in the 1998 Directory.|
|12/2/97||7/10/00||St. Patrick's||Natick||MA||2/2 Parochial Vicar (Temporary)|
Sean Patrick O' Malley replaced Law as archbishop (2003- ).
|10/12/04||Star of the Sea||Quincy||MA||1/1|
|10/25/04||6/20/06||St. Mary of the Annunciation||Cambridge||MA||1/4, 1/3 Administrator|
|12/01/07||4/01/08||Emergency Response Group||MA|
Parish had a religious education program (number of students not indicated).
Barr was placed on leave in August 30,2009 due to an allegation that he sexually abused a minor in the late 1980s.
|8/30/09||2015||Administrative Leave; Case in Process||Per the archdiocesan website, accessed August 27, 2015.|
Sources: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1977-2009)
• 'Father Fred' Gets Warm Reception in Watertown's St. Patrick Parish, By Jillian Fennimore, Watertown TAB & Press, May 16, 2008
• Former Natick Priest Faces Child Sexual Assault Allegations, MetroWest Daily News, September 1, 2009
• Attorney Says Church Needs to Do More about Recent Sex Allegations, By Dan McDonald, The MetroWest Daily News,
September 2, 2009
• Watertown Pastor Placed on Leave, The Pilot, September 4, 2009
• Priest Accused of Sexually Abusing Child, TheBostonChannel, August 30, 2009
• Watertown Priest Faces Sex Abuse Allegation,WBZ, August 30, 2009
• Watertown Priest Is Placed on Leave after Abuse Allegation, By Michael Corcoran, Boston Globe, August 31, 2009
• Former Parishes React to Watertown Priest Accused of Sexual Assault, By Fred Hanson and Meghann Ackerman, Watertown Tab & Press, August 31, 2009
• Boston Archdiocese Posts Sex-Abuse Database Online, By Joan Frawley Desmond, National Catholic Register, August 25, 2011
• Boston Archdiocese: 15 Accused Priests Had Worked in Somerville Parishes, By Andy Metzger, Wicked Local Somerville, August 30, 2011
• Publication With Respect to Archdiocesan Clergy Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Child, bostoncatholic.org
Priests in a Parish: We use the following
convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means
that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually
the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand
3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample
page from the Directory.
Note: The Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Barr's career history as it is represented in the Official Catholic Directory with allegations reported in the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegation we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.
This assignment record was last updated on August 27, 2015.
money guide of hospital products guide of international market guide of repair roof before winter guide of website income guide of secure your business guide of face makeup tools guide of jewellery arts guide of tv shows guide of best places on earth guide of job plans guide of cheap cars guide of creating products guide of women tools guide of eat less guide of car insurance process guide of sport stuff guide of garden home guide of cheap insurances guide of electronic tech guide of healthy feeding guide of what is next in fashion guide of improve company guide of tactical insurance guide of make money at home guide of development in business guide of dept loan guide of cooking secrets guide of correct companies guide of jobs with more income guide of reviews o general products guide of improving technology guide of ideal job guide of business sectors guide of dept problem guide of unlimited business guide of suitable insurance company guide of money cars guide of how to market guide of heatlhy diet tips guide of decoration tipse guide of security problems