Assignment Record– Rev. Alexander R. Anderson
Summary of Case: A priest of the St. Louis archdiocese ordained in 1975, Anderson assisted at several parishes before being named pastor of a parish in Eureka, was chaplain of St. Joseph's Home for Boys, and served on the archdiocesan Marriage Tribunal. In 2002 Anderson was accused publicly of child sexual abuse by a man in his 20s who said the abuse occurred when he was a young resident of the boys' home in the 1980s. Anderson denied the abuse and sued his accuser. The accuser countersued. In 2004 both suits were dropped and the archdiocese gave the former boys' home resident a settlement of $22,000 for counseling, admitting no wrongdoing and saying the money was "an act of kindness." Also in 2004 a second man accused Anderson of sexually abusing him as a boy, in 1988, at the boys' home. By 2008 a third person alleged child sexual abuse by Anderson. The archdiocese believed Anderson's denials, and he was kept in ministry.
St. Louis Archbishop was John Joseph Carberry (1968-1979).
|1979||St. Pius V||St. Louis||MO||2/4||Parish had a school with 358-329 students.|
Carberry was succeeded by John Lawrence May (1980-1992).
|1980||St. Blaise||Maryland Heights||MO||3/3||Parish had a school with 285 students.|
|1980||1981||Immaculate Heart of Mary||St. Louis||MO||3/3||Parish had a school with 476 students.|
|Diocesan Marriage Tribunal||St. Louis||MO|
|1981||1983||St. Simon's||Concord Village||MO||3/3||Parish had a school with 432-475 students.|
|1983||1988||St. Joseph's Home for Boys||
• In 2002 a man in his twenties accused Anderson of having sexually abused him when he was a child at St. Josephs' Home for Boys. Anderson denied the allegations and sued his accuser. His accuser countersued. In 2004 the archdiocese gave Anderson's accuser $22,000. for couseling, as "an act of kindess."
• A second accusation surfaced in 2004 by a man who said Anderson also sexually abused him as a boy at St. Joseph's in 1988.
• By 2008, there was known to be a third person accusing Anderson of molesting him as a child.
|MO||chaplain||The Home had 44 boys. It also had day treatment students.|
|1988||1992||St. Andrew's||Lemay||MO||2/2||Parish had a school with 221-186 students.|
Justin Francis Rigali replaced May as St. Louis archbishop (1994-2003).
|1993||Assumption||Mattese||MO||2/3||Parish had a school with 432 students and a religious education program with 230 students.|
Raymond Leo Burke succeeded Rigali (2003-2008).
Parish had a school with 184-275 students and a religious education program with 170-352 students.
When Anderson was accused in 2002 of child sexual abuse, Bishop Dolan believed Anderson's denial "on the spot" because Anderson "said it with a lot of peace." Dolan headed the review board, which decided the accusation had no merit. Within two months of the accusation, the statute of limitations ran out, and prosecutors did not have enough time to persue the case before it did so.
Burke was replaced by Robert James Carlson
|2015||St. Rose of Lima||De Soto||MO||1/1||
Parish had a school with 71 students and a religious education program with 127 students
Anderson remains pastor of this parish in January 2015.
Sources: Official Catholic Directory (New York: P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1976-2009 )
• Activists Will Challenge Church over Priest, By William C. Lhotka, Post-Dispatch [St. Louis MO], January 17, 2004
• Priests Sue over Allegations, By Guy Kovner, The Press Democrat [California], Downloaded March 22, 2004
• Priest's Life Turned Upside down by Abuse Charge Judged 'Unfounded', By Joseph Kenny, Catholic News Service [Stlouis-Dismissed], April 8, 2004
• St. Louis Archdiocese to Settle 18 Abuse Cases, The Associated Press [St. Louis MO], August 26, 2004
• Diocese Settles 18 Abuse Suits, By Tim Townsend firstname.lastname@example.org, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, August 26, 2004
• Problem Priests: Settling and Spinning, Post Dispatch [St. Louis MO], Downloaded September 7, 2004
• SNAP Posts Archbishop Burke’s “Ten Most Reckless & Callous Actions”, Voice from the Desert, August 17, 2008
• Complex Struggle: Prelate's Record in Abuse Crisis, By Serge Kovaleski, New York Times, May 16, 2010
• Sex Abuse, Cont., By Jerry Berger, Berger's Beat, October 6, 2011
Priests in a Parish: We use the following
convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means
that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually
the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand
3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample
page from the Directory.
Note: The Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Anderson''s career history as it is represented in the Official Catholic Directory with allegations as reported in the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegation we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.
This assignment record was last updated on January 28, 2015.
money guide of hospital products guide of international market guide of repair roof before winter guide of website income guide of secure your business guide of face makeup tools guide of jewellery arts guide of tv shows guide of best places on earth guide of job plans guide of cheap cars guide of creating products guide of women tools guide of eat less guide of car insurance process guide of sport stuff guide of garden home guide of cheap insurances guide of electronic tech guide of healthy feeding guide of what is next in fashion guide of improve company guide of tactical insurance guide of make money at home guide of development in business guide of dept loan guide of cooking secrets guide of correct companies guide of jobs with more income guide of reviews o general products guide of improving technology guide of ideal job guide of business sectors guide of dept problem guide of unlimited business guide of suitable insurance company guide of money cars guide of how to market guide of heatlhy diet tips guide of decoration tipse guide of security problems